TOP

New Rurouni Kenshin anime is a Kyoto Arc remake, I join the legions of disappointed fans

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


"The production company Aniplex confirmed on Saturday that the previously announced new Rurouni Kenshin anime series will be a two-part Shin Kyoto-Hen (New Kyoto Arc) original video anime series. The first part will play in Japanese theaters in December.

The new anime series will remake the Kyoto story arc of Nobuhiro Watsuki's original manga and the previous anime adaptation..."

I can't help but feel let down; I was really hoping to finally see the final arc (the Jinchuu arc) animated. The anime handled the Kyoto arc well enough, do we really need to see it squeezed into a two-part OVA? And what are the chances of overseas fans getting the opportunity to enjoy a theatrical release as consolation?

I'm still harbouring hopes that a Jinchuu project is still possible, and that Aniplex is using the response to the OVA to gauge whether animating Jinchuu will be worthwhile.

The announcement that the majority of the main cast will be reunited for the OVA is pretty cool though -- most of the old cast is still doing seiyuu work but Suzukaze Mayo and Fujitani Miki in particular (our leads Kenshin and Kaoru) don't seem to have had any involvement in anime for a long time. Heck, they've even gotten the composer of the original anime's OST, Asakura Noriyuki. They really seem to be banking on nostalgia here...

I can't find Doi Mika's (Megumi) name listed, though, I'm hoping it's just something they missed; I'm a fan of her work and I'm hoping she'll come back to being a part of this.

One confirmed notable change: Narita Ken will be replacing the late Suzuoki Hirotaka as Saitoh Hajime. The role I mostly remember Narita for is Sesshoumaru of Inuyasha, another cold, belligerent and ridiculously popular anti-hero character; I think he'll pull off Saitoh just fine.

/optimism

0 comments:

Post a Comment